Soft Pretzels II21 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“Salted or seeded, these make a great snack.” - by Anne Williamson
Original recipe yields 12 pretzels
- Stir sugar into 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups warm water, flour, and salt in large bowl. Stir yeast into mixture. Add a bit more flour, if needed, so dough isn't too sticky.
- Knead for 8 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed about 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Roll into log. Mark off into 12 portions, and cut. Roll each portion into 1/2 inch rope. Shape each rope into pretzel form on greased baking sheets. Beat egg white and 1 teaspoon water with fork in small bowl; brush glaze on pretzels. Sprinkle some pretzels with kosher salt, and some with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 450 degrees (230 degrees C) for about 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 183 cal
- 1.3 g
- 36.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (21)Rate This Recipe
"I don't ususally bake. Therefore, I was mortified when my gourmet club gave me the task of making soft prestzels for our German meal. They were fun and easy to make. I have become the "pretzel Que..." See moreen"! They tasted GREAT and I got so MANY compliments. I served them with honey mustard dressing and that was a hit. In less than a week I am making them again. Thank you for sharing your recipe Anne! Oregonsoul"
"These pretzels taste wonderful, however I had a difficult time twisting them into the classic pretzel shape. Also, I think using whole egg yolk, instead of just egg white, for brushing on top would g..." See moreive them a shinier appearance."
Buttery Soft Pretzels
Soft Pretzels I
Just swipe to see more like this.