Poppy Seed Rolls4 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 16 hr 40 min
“A sweet roll with a creamy poppy seed filling.” - by Katherine Foster
Original recipe yields 24 rolls
- Place the poppy seeds in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Stir together milk, sugar, shortening, and salt. Stir until shortening melts. Cool mixture to lukewarm. Mix yeast with 2 cups flour; mix into milk mixture. Stir in eggs. Work in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise until doubled in size.
- Drain poppy seeds well, and put through the finest blade of a grinder 3 times. Cream butter or margarine and honey. Add cream, and stir in poppy seeds, nuts, raisins and grated peel. Add more cream if necessary to spread thinly over dough.
- Deflate dough, and divide in half. Roll each half to a 12 x 8 inch rectangle. Spread with poppy seed filling. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, from long edge. Slice each into 12 pieces, and place cut side down in greased 9 inch round cake pans. Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 343 cal
- 21.5 g
- 34.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"i used my bread maker to make the dough, and used a can of poppy seed filling, to which i added some walnuts, orange peel, and some cream. i agree, the filling ingredients look wrong - i think the bes..." See moret bet would be to add cream until you get a good spreading consistency (which is what i did with the canned filling) but i'm afraid not enough people read the comments before making the recipe. i think the 16 hours 40 minutes might include time for the dough to rise - i read another recipe, and they recommended letting the dough rise in the refrigerator overnight, which could explain the long time."
"The dough is wonderful. The filling, I am sure has the wrong measurments. 2 cups of cream is way to much. Its too watery. Also it says it takes 16 hours and 40 minutes to make? what?? I think th..." See moreere are some typing errors, in this recipe."
Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins I
Just swipe to see more like this.