Pickled Asparagus21 Reviews
“Use the freshest asparagus for best color. These make great appetizers or garnishes. They look so pretty all 'canned up'!” - by Behr
Original recipe yields 2 pints
- Trim the cut end of the asparagus spears, and cut them into 3 inch lengths. Place them in a large bowl with 1/3 cup salt, and cover with water. Let stand for 2 hours. Drain and rinse under cool water, and pat dry.
- Sterilize two pint size wide mouth jars in simmering water for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegar, sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, mustard seed, dill seed and onion rings. Bring to a boil, and boil for one minute.
- Pack the asparagus spears, tips up, in the hot jars leaving 1/2 of space from the rim. Tuck one dill sprig into each jar, and sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Pour hot pickling liquid into the jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the rim. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, and seal with lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. Check seals when cool by pressing the center of the lid. It should not move. Label and date; store in a cool dark place. If any jars have not sealed properly, refrigerate and eat within two weeks.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 41 cal
- 0.1 g
- < 1%
- 10.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (21)Rate This Recipe
"This may be common canning knowledge...but I didn't know this: Be sure to pack the asparagus tightly in the jars. If you don't, you run the risk of the asparagus overcooking during the 10-minute proce..." See moressing time. I added a crushed garlic clove to the bottom of each jar. Otherwise, no changes to the recipe. The pickling juice had a great flavor!"
"I've been making these for years, ever since we had them as a garnish in a Bloody Mary drink in Hawaii. Do pick smallest diameter spears you can find. I also put several crushed cloves of garlic and..." See more more red pepper flakes in the bottom of the jars. Makes a wonderful item to tuck into a gift basket, or to give away at the holidays, long after asparagus season is gone."
"Mom wanted some pickled asparagus. I could not find what she wanted at the store, but the asparagus was on sale. Never canned a thing in my life but these turned out GREAT. Mom loved them. My Mom tu..." See morerned 92 this year and if she wants something I try to get it for her. The whole family loved them. Very easy to do."
Orzo and Shrimp Salad with Asparagus
Just swipe to see more like this.