Bread Bowls I18 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“Bread, stew and no dishes to wash after dinner!” - by JACLYN
Original recipe yields 4 bread bowls
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the whole wheat flour, salt and one cup of the bread flour; stir well to combine. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Place into a lightly oiled bowl, and turn to coat the whole surface with oil. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down the dough, and let rest 10 minutes. Divide into 4 balls. Place on cookie sheets, and flatten into disks. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Lightly beat the egg white with the water and brush the risen loaves with this mixture. Bake at 375 degree F (190 degree C) for 40 to 50 minutes. When done bread should sound hollow when thumped on bottom. Remove from oven, and let cool.
- Cut a circle out of the top of each loaf, and remove that part of the crust. Either remove the soft bread beneath, or compress it to form a bowl.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 477 cal
- 2.4 g
- 97.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (18)Rate This Recipe
"I ended up with hard "cracker" like rolls rather than bread bowls. They did not rise up into anything deep enough to hold soup. They actually worked well, though, as I broke them up and dipped them ..." See morein the soup (which I served the old fashioned way - in bowls from the cupboard.)"
"halfed the recipe and they turned out too big than what was expected. I just halfed them again to make a bowl. Great!..." See more"
Honey Whole Wheat Bread
Bread Bowls II
Just swipe to see more like this.