Crusty White Bread153 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“A fragrant white bread with a nice and crispy crust.” - by Dingo
Original recipe yields 2 loaves
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the milk, the butter or margarine, 4 cups of the flour and the salt; stir until well combined. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Mist loaves with water and bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown and the bottom of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 142 cal
- 1.7 g
- 26.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (153)Rate This Recipe
"For a Professional Baker to say a Home recipe is Fantastic... is usually Just a Compliment, but I MUST say This Recipe IS Fantastic! Liquid to Dry mixture ratio is easy to adjust, if need be.The Knead..." See moreing if done gently, is perfect for a fine crust and a silkin inner texture.The bake time is just right ( i use 9" X 12" X 3" pan half full of water, on the bottom rack,below the rack with the bread, for added moisture in the oven)Three Cheers to You "DINGO", Three cheers indeed.My Home Bread from now on! Thanks Again !"
"This recipie was delicious! I made this recipe away from home and had no bread pans so I just tossed the entire piece of dough, which would have made 2 loaves into a large non-stick wok/skillet and i..." See moret came out as a beautiful large round loaf! I didn't need to extend cooking time at all. I just kept my eye on it and took it out when it was brown enough. The family loved it! It even tasted great the next day...still very moist. Thanks a lot for this one!!"
Grandma VanDoren's White Bread
Basic White Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.