Bean Burgers9 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 3 hr
“A fried vegetarian bean burger made with great northern beans. This recipe makes a lot, so stock up the freezer unless you are feeding a crowd. Serve in pitas or on hamburger buns with your favorite burger toppings.” - by EVENINGSTAR24
Original recipe yields 15 burgers
- Place the soaked beans in a large pot, and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, until tender. Pour into a colander and let stand for a while so they drain very well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and fry until nicely browned, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside. Meanwhile, mix together the eggs and seasoned stuffing mix, and let stand 10 minutes to soften.
- Use a food processor to puree the beans in batches, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Puree the onions, and then the stuffing mixture, and stir them into the beans. Season with garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Mix until well blended. Stir in whole wheat flour a little at a time until the mixture is stiff enough to form patties.
- Spread the cornmeal out on a small plate. Grab a handful of the bean mixture, and pack lightly into a ball. Press into the cornmeal to form a pattie. Gently turn the pattie over, and coat the other side. Repeat with remaining bean mixture.
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry patties until browned on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve in pitas, or on hamburger buns.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 249 cal
- 5.8 g
- 38.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"the burgers were great but the recipe was a little too complicated for my tastes..." See more"
"There were a HUGE hit with my family. Even with my picky 14 year old! They were glad there were extras so they can have them for lunch tomorrow. They did take quite a bit of prep, but all the steps..." See more were worth it. (It will probably go faster next time I make them.) I made them exactly as the recipe called for, except that I used cornbread stuffing since that is what I had. This one is a KEEPER!!!"
"hey...lol...you stole my family recipe!! I always have soaked cooked beans on hand. Soak them in slowcooker and then just turn on in am. Everything goes in food processer at night. I don't usually ..." See more"bread" them with cornmeal though. Just flour or breadcrumbs. Also I spice it myself with ordinary "panko" type bread crumbs. Oh anything handy. lol Panko bread crumbs are just stale white bread grated on box grater large holes. I am a miser and learned that one long ago. Four stars cause of changes. But hey folks it's easier than it looks"
Quinoa Black Bean Burgers
Butter Bean Burgers
Just swipe to see more like this.