Whole Wheat Bread II78 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 25 min
“Slightly sweet whole wheat bread. Use stone ground flour if available. This is a very big recipe, you may want to divide it in half.” - by Ruth Uitto
Original recipe yields 4 loaves
- Dissolve brown sugar in 1 cup hot water. Add shortening, and stir to melt. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 4 cups warm water. Add white sugar, salt, and bread flour. Beat well. Stir in shortening mixture. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a stiff but not dry dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a large, well oiled bowl. Cover, and allow to rise until dough doubles in bulk.
- Divide dough into four equal parts. Shape into loaves. Place in greased, 9 x 5 inch pans, turning each loaf over in pan to grease top. Allow to rise until dough doubles in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
Amount Per Serving (48 total)
- 148 cal
- 2 g
- 29 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (78)Rate This Recipe
"Despite the reviewer below who says this isn't a whole wheat bread recipe - this is one of the best whole-wheat bread recipes I've ever used and I've been making bread for over 40 years. There are man..." See morey whole wheat recipes that use half white flour. Concession I made: I only used the 1 c.brown sugar, eliminated the other sugar. Because I like to make my bread in a KitchenAid Mixer, I put half of each of the flours and all the rest of the ingredients in the mixer bowl. When that was well mixed, I poured the batter into a measuring cup, and then returned half of that to the mixer. I then added half of the balance of each of the remaining flours. This gave me more managable pieces of dough to work with. I added an extra 5 minutes or 50 turns of kneading by hand to each piece, then kneaded the two pieces together to rise. This bread makes wonderful toast, a great sandwich or just plain with butter. My husband raves about the bread everytime he has a slice. Thanks for a great recipe. It deserves more than 5 stars."
"This is the best whole wheat recipe I have come across. I have been able to replace the white flour with 50/50 flour making the bread 3/4 whole wheat without sacrificing moisture or texture. It is bes..." See moret if you add the boiling water to the whole wheat and give it about 20 minutes to soak it up, that way you won't knead more flour into it than you need!"
Simple Whole Wheat Bread
Maple Whole Wheat Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.