Oatmeal Soda Bread43 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“This is a very easy recipe that has the added bonus of being lowfat! It bakes into a round loaf.” - by Karin Christian
Original recipe yields 1 loaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup oats, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, mix together sour cream, milk, honey, and sugar. Add to the flour mixture, and mix just until well blended. Stir in melted butter or margarine.
- Turn dough onto a lightly sprayed baking sheet. Shape into a round, lightly mounded circle, about 8 inches diameter. Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter or margarine, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon oats. With a knife, score the top of the loaf into quarters.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until browned. Cool completely before slicing.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 242 cal
- 8.6 g
- 35.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (43)Rate This Recipe
"I'm a little confused how bread that consists of sour cream and almost an entire stick of butter is considered lowfat, but it's delicious nontheless! Texture and flavor are outstanding, but a little..." See more lighter than traditional soda bread. I subbed whole wheat in place of one cup of bread flour which was really good, and next time I'll leave the oats off the top; they just fell off and made a mess. I'll make this one again!"
"Very yummy, and quick to make! I used yoghurt instead of sour cream and it was awesome. Really nice with some golden syrup spread on it =) Just got to be careful not to overbake as it'll start going..." See more a bit tough from the bottom up."
"YUM! I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour, and added a teaspoon of vanilla. It needed longer than 40 minutes for me though. I ended up leaving it in for nearly an hour before the inside was..." See more completely done. I am VERY pleased with the outcome. It has a bit of a hard crust, but the inside is nice and chewy... and the flavor is right on the money. Delicious!!!"
Irresistible Irish Soda Bread
Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.