Raisin Bread III3 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 10 min
“This recipe uses a white bread straight dough as the base. When making raisin bread, you may use brown sugar instead of white. Grated orange or lemon rind may be added.” - by Mary
Original recipe yields 2 -9 1/2x5 1/4 inch loaves
- Scald milk.
- Soften yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour scalded milk over sugar, shortening, and salt in a bowl. When lukewarm, blend in raisins and 1 cup flour.
- Stir in yeast and beat well. Add 3 cups flour, continue beating until smooth. Beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn on lightly floured surface; let rest about 5 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn to bring greased surface to top. Cover, let stand in warm place until dough is doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down, cover, and let rise again until almost doubled in bulk.
- Turn on lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves. Place in 2 greased loaf pans 9 1/2 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4 inches. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake in a 400 degree F (205 degrees C) oven for about 50 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 172 cal
- 1.6 g
- 35.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This one was ok. We have lost our grandmother's raisin bread recipe, and I wanted something a lot like it - a white dough that you let rise before baking. This was the closest I could find. It did ..." See morepretty well; getting all the softened yeast off the bottom of the bowl, to dump it into the dough mixture, is tricky. It might be better to dump the rest onto the yeast, since missing some yeast can be a big problem. If you can plan the time, this is a nice and simple treat...but, it's not my favorite."
"I made this recipe for a fondue party and received a lot of compliments. It held up well for dipping. The only changes I made was to use approximately 5 cups of bread flour and 1 cup of whole wheat ..." See moreflour (instead of 6 cups of all-purpose flour) and I only used about 1 1/2 cups of golden raisins (instead of 2 cups of regular raisins)."
"i added 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, and soaked the fruit first. i came back into the kitchen after 30 minutes because i could smell burning! when i took the bread out of the..." See more oven it was burnt on the outside and still uncooked on the inside. it smelled very good though. next time i will reduce the temperature when cooking. looked good too though!"
Cinnamon Raisin Bread I
Raisin Bread I
Just swipe to see more like this.