Special Banana Bread71 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Over the years I have revised this recipe until I found just the right mix. It is incredibly moist and flavorful. It may take longer to cook so be patient.” - by Candace
Original recipe yields 2 large loafs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray two 9x5 inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream the shortening and sugar until light. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add to the shortening mixture and mix to combine.
- Thoroughly mash the bananas. Stir bananas into the batter then stir in the walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted near the center comes out clean. Check with a wooden skewer every 15 minutes after 45 minutes of baking. It can take up to 65 to 70 minutes to cook.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 254 cal
- 12.8 g
- 33.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (71)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe was awesome but I did make some minor changes that were well worth it. Instead of 2 cups of sugar I did as was suggested by another and used 1-1/2 cups of white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown ..." See moresugar. I used Crisco butter shortening, omitted the cloves and nutmeg and used only 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (personal preference) I used pecans instead of walnuts and I only had five bananas but apparently they were good size ones cause the bread was very banana tasting. I got A LOT of compliments and I will definitely make this again!! I put it in smaller loaf pans making 8 and for a variation on it - the batter for the last four pans I added milk chocolate chips which was more popular than the 'plain'. If you are going to make this - try the milk chocolate chips - totally awesome."
"this is not your typical banana bread at all, and why i love it so very much and is the only banana bread recipe i use. there are a lot of spices but that's part of what i love about it, if you want ..." See moresomething more like the usual banana bread then this isn't really for you. i've made this quite a number of times and have done the original recipe as well and it always turns out yummy. i use applesauce in place of the shortening (healthier), add an extra banana, do half white and half brown sugar. (i have done part whole wheat flour as well but usually don't have it on hand.)"
DC Girly Girl
Banana Bread IV
Banana Bread VI
Just swipe to see more like this.