Hot Cross Buns I141 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 30 min
“Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!” - by LITSTER5
Original recipe yields 12 buns
- Put warm water, butter, skim milk powder, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, egg, egg white, flour, and yeast in bread maker and start on dough program.
- When 5 minutes of kneading are left, add currants and cinnamon. Leave in machine till double.
- Punch down on floured surface, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased 9 x 12 inch pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double, about 35-40 minutes.
- Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Brush on balls.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
- To make crosses: mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and milk. Brush an X on each cooled bun.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 217 cal
- 4.1 g
- 40.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (141)Rate This Recipe
"Just made these buns today, wonderful. I didn't want to wait to add the raisins, (not a currant in the house)so they went in with everything else, didn't seem to hurt anything except to maybe make the..." See more buns a darker color, if you want whole raisins don't do this. A quick tip to make the frosting, put your powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a heavy plastic sandwich bag, mix by kneading the bag gently when all the ingredients are mixed well cut a tiny hole in one corner of the bag and squeeze to make the crosses."
"Since I was short on time, I decided to try this bread machine version over my 'traditional' recipe....and these buns were awesome! The even tasted just like my regular recipe! I did make some change..." See mores as my standby recipe was a bit different and you may want to try this too: I added 1 tsp. each vanilla extract & butter flavoring, 1/2 tsp. allspice, 1 tsp. each dried lemon and orange peel and 3/4C. mixed candied fruit. So good with a cup of tea....."
"My husband says that the traditional hot cross buns have a sweetened dough cross rather than an icing one, so I made a sweet dough out of an egg white, some confectioners sugar, all purpose flour and ..." See moresome vanilla and put it on after brusing the tops with the egg yolk mixture - turned out great! Our guests loved them and asked for the recipe!"
Burger or Hot Dog Buns
Julia's Hot Cross Buns
Just swipe to see more like this.