Basic British Scones195 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 25 min
“After much trial and error, I've come up with this basic scone recipe which rivals the scones at "Tea & Sympathy" in NYC.” - by Angela Martini
Original recipe yields 1 dozen
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough milk to mix to a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly and roll out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with milk to glaze.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack. Serve with butter or clotted cream and jam.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 124 cal
- 4.2 g
- 18.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (195)Rate This Recipe
"I don't know how the other guys handle the dough in this recipes, but I choose it anyway, despite the bad reviews because of the low fat content. Couple of tips for this recipes: 1)Do not "overub-in..." See more" the butter. Yes! please use butter for the flavour, instead of the margarine. 2)Make sure everything is extremely cold. 3)Do not knead the dough for more than 8-10 times, even when there are crumbs left behind, just pat them onto the dough when you shape it out on the cookie sheet. 4)Instead of cream of tartar and baking soda, add 2 tsps of baking powder. I made many many scones before, but never ever cut any of them into circles as suggested in recipes. Instead roll the dough out into a 6" circle and scour the circle into 6 triangles is my favourite method."
"This is the only scone recipe you need! These turn out perfect every time and they're not loaded with fat like some scones. I make these with butter instead of margarine and I usually use 3 tablespo..." See moreons of sugar instead of 2 (1/8 cup). Good additions are 1 tablespoon of orange zest and dried cranberries or 1/2 cup frozen blueberries."
"Finally! The perfect scone recipe. And easy. Forget the creme recipes & stuff. I substituted butter and baked at 450 for 12-15 minutes and added a tad more sugar. Also- roll out thick because min..." See moree did not rise. And I've added stuff in, like cranberries and orange, etc. It's great- you'll love it."
Just swipe to see more like this.