Swiss Christmas Bread3 Reviews
“This is a sweet bread, made into a round loaf.” - by ELLENMARIE
Original recipe yields 1 round loaf
- In a saucepan, heat milk, water, and butter or margarine until warm.
- In large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, nutmeg, mace, and cloves; mix well. Stir in warm milk mixture and egg. Blend with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in raisins, cherries, citron, nuts, and enough remaining flour to make a firm dough.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf, and place in a greased 2 quart casserole. Cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush top of loaf with melted butter, and sprinkle lightly with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F ( 190 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes, until deep golden brown. If too dark, cover loosely with foil last 5 to 10 minutes of baking. Cool.
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 212 cal
- 5.2 g
- 36.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This is almost exactly like my recipe for JULEKAGE (Norwegian Christmas bread). Don't bake it in the casserole, but rather form it into a circular loaf and bake on a cookie sheet. Butter the top whe..." See moren it comes out of the oven. It is best when sliced and toasted, then buttered and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Store wrapped in plastic or a Ziploc bag. Yummy!"
"This was more like a batter bread. Needs more flour. A 2 qt. casserole was not large enough for this recipe. Slopped over the edge and fell in the middle. I was very disappointed...." See more"
Cinnamon Raisin Bread I
Raisin Bread I
Just swipe to see more like this.