Batter White Bread87 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“Batter Bread is a no-knead yeast bread using unbleached all-purpose flour. Hint: All yeast bread doughs rise best at about 85 degrees F. Put in oven with a bowl of hot water on bottom shelf. Inside a gas oven with a pilot light is ideal.” - by Ed
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 x 5 inch loaf
- Mix together shortening, sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 1/5 cups flour. Add warm water and beat by hand about 300 strokes, or 3 minutes, with an electric mixer. Add remaining flour, scraping bowl often, and mix all together until smooth.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until doubled in volume.
- Stir dough down gently, and spoon into a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan (the batter should be sticky). Pat down with floured hands to help shape. Cover again, and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Place on a cooling rack, and brush top with melted butter.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 151 cal
- 3.4 g
- 26.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (87)Rate This Recipe
"I had to try this recipe 2. The first time it tasted great coming out of the oven but it was VERY HEAVY! I tried again the second time and it came out perfect. As other people have mentioned it is imp..." See moreortant that the water is very hot. This is an easy recipe when you want a little hassle homemade bread. It is great with soups and stew although I don't think I would try it as sandwich bread since the consistency is a little bit different than a kneaded bread recipe. The only changes I made was to use olive oil instead of shortening the second time and I mixed it by hand."
"Easiest yeast bread recipe I've ever made with excellent results. I also made a cinnamon bread by increasing the suger to 1/3 cup. After the first rise I sprinkled a mixture of 1/4 cup sugar and 1 t..." See moresp cinnamon over the top then gently folded it in to make swirls of cinnamon. YUM!"
Traditional White Bread
Crusty White Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.