Nut Rolls13 Reviews
“This is an old Slovak recipe. In Slovak it is called Roshky. The rolls are filled with lekvar, a thick, soft fruit spread. This is an all day project. This recipe will make 7 or 8 twelve inch loaves, or some dough may be reserved for lekvar squares.” - by Bob
Original recipe yields 7 or 8 loaves
- Prepare two fillings. Mix together walnuts, 1 cup sugar, and 1/ 8 teaspoon cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix lekvar with lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, 2 cups butter or margarine, and 6 eggs. Mix well. Add sour cream, milk, flour, yeast, and salt. Beat thoroughly until dough does not stick to hands.
- Form dough into 7 or 8 balls. Roll out each ball on a lightly floured board to a rectangle.
- Brush dough with melted butter. Fill with fillings. Roll tight. Place on greased pans, and let stand for approximately 4 hours to raise before baking.
- Brush tops with beaten egg yolk just before placing in oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (60 total)
- 263 cal
- 14.2 g
- 29.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"The closest thing I've ever found to my late Grandmother's Roshky recipe!! Thought that wonderful treat was lost forever--THANK YOU, Bob! The rolls were fabulous, easy to make, and well worth the time..." See more. I'd give it 10 stars!!!"
"Have been searching for an "old" recipe and this came so close. Made them today and they are beautiful. My husband, who is Slovenian, said they are the best ever. The only thing I'd disagree with i..." See mores the "roll tightly" part in the instructions. If you roll nut rolls too tightly they will split ! So you really only need to flip the long end over three times and make sure edge is on the bottom. :)"
"Loved them. It took me a long time to grind the walnuts (I have since bought me a better nut grinder), but otherwise easy to do. Two of my rolls cracked open a bit during baking. I'm not sure if that ..." See morewas because I rolled the dough out too thin or added too much filling. It didn't matter. They tasted wonderful. A little goes a long way as it is quite filling. I froze all but one loaf. Thanks for the great recipe."
Refrigerator Nut Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.