Herman Sourdough Starter30 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Ready In: 6 day 22 hr 40 min
“This is a recipe for a sweet sourdough starter known as Herman. There are a number of things that can be made from it. It's very important to NOT use metal utensils or bowls! It will take 15 days for the starter to mature and be ready to use the first time you make it. After that it can be ready for use every 10 days.” - by Sue
Original recipe yields 4 cups
- In a large glass or plastic container, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Stir in the flour and sugar, mix until smooth. (DO NOT USE A METAL SPOON)! Cover loosely and store in a warm place overnight.
- The next day, stir and refrigerate.
- Stir once each day for the next four days. On the fifth day, stir, then divide in half. Give half away with feeding instructions.
- Feed starter with 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Stir until smooth. Cover and place in refrigerator. Stir once each day for next four days.
- On the tenth day feed again with 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Return to refrigerator and stir once each day for the next four days.
- On the fifteenth day it is ready to be used for baking. Reserve one cup of the starter in the refrigerator and continue to follow the stir and feed cycle (Stir once a day for four days, stir and feed on the fifth day, ready for use on the tenth day.)
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 382 cal
- 1.9 g
- 82.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (30)Rate This Recipe
"HERMAN STARTER---On the fifth day of dividing the starter I chose to make pancakes with the discarded starter. Wow! I was really impressed with the pancakes. Never have I eaten such delicious sweet so..." See moreurdough pancakes. I have used other soughdough starters in making pancakes but I have never been able to produce such light and airy pancakes. These pancakes were brimming with flavor and are delicious eaten cold, with butter and jam. I don't like left over pancakes normally I discard them but Herman's pancakes can be eaten cold or plain with or without syrup, butter and jam. I'm really pleased with the Herman starter. NOTE---Herman sweet sourdough starter can be used for baking any time after the 5th day. It's not necessary to wait 15 days. Start using it after the 5th day. This starter is a keeper."
"Herman is the best! I have used it in all sorts of recipes and am so glad to keep the old fashioned starter alive. Herman Cake made great gifts for friends...." See more"
"Sourdough starters are a lot of work, but the results are well worth the wait. This recipe makes such a thick and creamy starter. My family is very excited every 10 days when I get to whip up a batc..." See moreh of fresh sourdough bread. My starter isn't even very mature yet, I think I started it about 2 months ago, and every time I use it, it gets better and better. Try this starter with the San Francisco Sourdough recipe on this website. The combination is to die for!"
Amish Friendship Bread Starter
Just swipe to see more like this.