Sara Jane's Oatmeal Cake23 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“This is the BEST CAKE I have ever eaten! A moist cake made with oats, and lightly spiced with nutmeg is topped with a broiled coconut icing. Not too sweet, not too dry, just amazing.” - by AMI13
Original recipe yields 1 - 8 inch square cake
- In a small bowl, stir oats into boiling water. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and shortening until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Sift in the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; stir just until moistened. Mix in the soaked oats. Pour into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Turn the oven to the broil setting and let it heat up.
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, heavy cream, coconut and vanilla. Spread over the top of the cake. Broil for a few minutes, just until the coconut is lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 434 cal
- 20 g
- 61.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (23)Rate This Recipe
"This cake IS very good, but I'm only giving it 4 stars because the directions are wrong. I checked my cake @ 30 min. (because I never want to overcook anything) and it was pretty far away from being ..." See moredone. Checked it at 35 (like recipe says) still runny, 40 min still not done. I finally took it out after 43 minutes because I hate anything overdone. I wish I'd left it in another five minutes because the middle still wasn't cooked. But the rest of the cake was and with the topping it is delicious!"
"This IS yummy. I cut way back on the sugar, though, - 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown. And I added cinnamon to the batter and baked it in a 9 x 13 pan for about 45 minutes. Some chopped nuts added ..." See moreto the topping were the finishing touch. Mmmm."
Oatmeal Cake III
Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.