Maple Oat Bread3 Reviews
- Prep: 2 hr
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“This is a hearty and delicious bread with a sweet flavor and a little bit of spice. Try adding some raisins or chopped nuts for an added surprise. Excellent with nut butters.” - by GRRLINTERUPTD
Original recipe yields 1.5 pound loaf
- In a large bowl, stir together the spelt flour, whole wheat flour, oats, yeast, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Combine the oil, warm water, and 1/4 cup maple syrup; stir into the flour mixture.
- When the dough is stiff enough, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes. Knead in more flour if necessary to keep the dough from being sticky. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat. Cover, and set in a warm place to rise until double in size.
- Punch down dough, and form into a tight ball by folding the sides into the center. The tighter the ball, the more it will rise instead of just spreading. Place on a greased baking sheet with the seam underneath. Let rise for 20 minutes, or until your finger leaves a dent when you poke it gently.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Mix together 3 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Brush over the top of the loaf, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of oats.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 162 cal
- 3.2 g
- 30.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"Just made this - AWESOME! But I made the following changes: 1 - Used regular all purpose flour, 3 cups. 2 - Omitted the Allspice - But used the rest of fragrant spices. 3 - On the bread wash, all you ..." See moreneed is 1 T. of water and 1 T. of maple syrup, and the oats. More than that is wasteful. 4 - I elongated the loaf slightly, baked on a dark round pan, so drop the temp to 350 degrees for that. Using allspice with the other spices will make the loaf too pungent. The other spices, on their own, are fantastic! Hubby loved this! And, of course, the use of genuine maple syrup instead of sugar makes this so much healthier - of course, using spelt flour and oat flour would have too, but I didn't have any :) Great recipe!!!"
"The dough didn't rise as much as I thought it should have, and the recipe called for too much allspice and ginger; it had bite to it, but it was good overall, and I'd make it again...." See more"
Light Oat Bread
Maple Whole Wheat Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.