Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style326 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“An easy and delicious way to recreate your favorite Greek restaurant dish at home. This Mediterranean-flavored recipe can be served buffet-style allowing your guests to make their own.” - by Chris J
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinaigrette, juice from 1/2 lemon, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Toss the shredded cucumber with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and allow to sit at least 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill, and Greek seasoning. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared grill. Discard remaining marinade. Cook chicken until juices run clear, about 8 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat, and allow to sit about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Place pita rounds on the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes, until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. Arrange warmed pita, sliced chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives, and pepperoncini on a serving platter. Serve tzatziki sauce and feta cheese in separate bowls on the side. Stuff pita pockets with chicken and toppings to serve.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 764 cal
- 40.5 g
- 55.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (326)Rate This Recipe
"Excellent. I made this in the winter so we didn't use the grill. I broied the chicken 8 min on each side. I used light sour cream and nonfat yogurt and the Tzatziki turned out fantastic and healthy..." See more. My husband loved it, I loved it. Definitely buy thick, quality pita. My store was limited and the pita fell apart a bit, but it didn't take away from the taste."
"We loved this recipe! It's a Friday night tradition for my husband and I to go to our favorite Greek joint and have gyros, but freezing temps this evening so I decided to make these at home. Delicio..." See moreus! The sauce was excellent, I would recommend adding more lemon, greek seasoning, and dill. I doubled the garlic as well. I used 2/3 cup balsamic and 1/3 cup olive oil in place of the vinegrette. No grilling tonight, so I baked the chicken with some marinade for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Perfect! Thanks for sharing."
"This had fantastic flavor and really hit spot. Reminded me of my husband and I's favorite college Pita haunt. As to the people confused by the recipe's chicken marinade make sure you are using a ba..." See morelsamic vinegrette as specified instead of straight balsamic vinegar, 2 TOTALLY different things. Vinegrette is a salad dressing made with equal parts or slightly more Olive Oil to balsamic in addition to garlic, herbs, etc.. The recipe is just fine as written! Thank you for the walk down memory lane!"
Chicken Pasta - Shannon Style
Springfield Style Cashew Chicken I
Just swipe to see more like this.