Sourdough Chocolate Cranberry Cake7 Reviews
“A prize winning chocolate cranberry cake made with a sourdough starter.” - by Esther Nelson
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch cake
- In a large, non-metallic bowl, combine sourdough starter, water, flour and powdered milk. Let ferment uncovered, for 2 to 3 hours in a warm place until bubbly and a clear sour milk odor develops.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray and, using a small sieve or shaker, dust lightly with cocoa powder.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together sugar, oil, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and baking soda. Add eggs, melted semi-sweet baking chocolate, and cranberry sauce.
- Combine the mixtures together and stir until well blended.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving, excellent served slightly warm.
- Garnish by sifting powdered sugar onto a paper doily or just dollop spoonfuls of whole berry cranberry sauce on top of each serving of cake.
- This cake can also be baked in 2 - 8 inch round layer cake pans, baking time is decreased to 20 to 25 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Another can of whole berry cranberry sauce can be spread generously between and on top of the unfrosted layered cake rounds for an impressive look during the holidays!
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 164 cal
- 6.2 g
- 25.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"I'm very sad to tell you this recipe flopped. My starter has worked for me really well, so I don't think it's the starter. Recipe called for baking cake 30-35 minutes. I baked it 35 minutes, put a ..." See moreknife in the center, it came out doughy, so I baked it 10 more minutes. I checked the center of cake with knife again, it came out doughy, so I put it back to bake for another 10 minutes. It was getting late by that time, so when I finally took the cake out of the oven after at least 55 minutes, I set it to cool on counter. The cake fell as it cooled. I spread it with homemade cranberry sauce and sent it to church the next day. People usually eat all of the goodies I bake for after church - not this time. I tasted it too. The taste was not horrible; it just was NOT the consistency of cake. It looked like fudge when cut. This recipe needs to be reworked, or perhaps something has accidentally been left out. Usually, all recipes I try on this site get 3 - 5 stars - not this one. :o("
"This cake has made my family adicted to it. First of all when they were hungry I was offering them this cake because everyday they eat the same thing and are picky picky children. Suddenly they tried ..." See moreit and said "I will eat this cake until I die." From that day onwaards we all ate they same things!"
Perfect Chocolate Cake
Aunt Mary's Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.