Mexican Style Meatballs53 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Yummy miniature meatballs in a chipotle tomato sauce. I have been serving these for years at various events and never take leftovers home. They are easy to prepare and freeze well for pre-planning.” - by BAJATHECAT
Original recipe yields 40 meatballs
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef and pork, eggs, bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and water using your hands. Form into 1 inch meatballs, and set aside on a piece of waxed paper.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into the container of a blender along with the chipotle peppers. Blend until smooth, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the remaining garlic and cumin, and cook for a few minutes to release the aromas. Pour in the tomato mixture and chicken broth. Season with the remaining teaspoon of salt, and mix well. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat while you brown the meatballs.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add meatballs, but do not crowd them. Fry them in two batches if necessary. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned on the outside. Remove from the skillet, and place into the pot of simmering sauce. Let the meatballs simmer in the sauce for about 30 minutes. Longer will not hurt them.
- For special occasions, serve the meatballs in a chafing dish with the sauce, and garnish with cilantro.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 245 cal
- 15.9 g
- 9.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (53)Rate This Recipe
"Excellent appetizer! I cooked the meatballs in the oven on a broiler pan at 400 degrees instead of frying them to save time and clean up, and they were great...." See more"
"The very best meatballs I have ever had, and probably the best recipe I have ever found on allrecipes.com. One addition that I add to each meatball is to dice up some string cheese and place a chunk i..." See moren the middle of each one. Makes the meatballs taste even better."
"I loved this sauce! I needed some Mexican appetizers for a party but didn't have a ton of time, so I just bought a bag of frozen meatballs and put this sauce together the night before. Then the day of..." See more party I just threw the meatballs in the crock pot with the sauce and a few hours later, they were done! Everyone loved them. I think I could have threw in about twice the chipotles though. Maybe the brand I got was a mild one. But I do like it spicy!! Thanks for a great recipe. I'll definitely be making these again!"
Charley's Slow Cooker Mexican Style Meat
Ground Beef Mexican Style
Just swipe to see more like this.