Chocolate Cherry Upside Down Cake51 Reviews
“This is an old favorite from my recipe box that I have had for 25 years that 's non-dairy and egg free!” - by Janice
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch pan
- Spread pie filling evenly in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl combine water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Add these liquid ingredients to the flour mixture all at once. Stir until just moistened. Pour the batter evenly over the cherry pie filling.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes in pan then invert cake onto a serving dish and continue to cool.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 167 cal
- 5.1 g
- 29.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (51)Rate This Recipe
"I think this recipe is fantastic. It was very easy to make, but I could not get the upside-down bit right. The cake would not come off the pan. It might have been better if I lined the tin. Also, I wa..." See mores not sure if pie cherries were can cherries. In Australia there were no pie cherries unfortunately only canned ones with juice!. And I wasn't sure whether it had to be finely chopped or put whole. hahaha, but the taste was absolutely delicious!!!"
"This was great! I am allergic to dairy and eggs, and I am also not able to eat gluten (wheat, rye, barley). As you can imagine, cake is hard to come by for me. I made this for my birthday & I brought ..." See moreit to work when we were celebrating. I substituted the wheat flour with gluten free flour (Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour) and a tsp of xanthan gum. I also added dairy free chocolate chips into the batter, and I drizzled some chocolate syrup on the top when it was done. And it was great! It got eaten before the "regular" cake did! (Addition 3 years later) I STILL get requests for this at work - even on other people's birthdays - and people ask me for the recipe all the time. "
"WOW!! This is the first healthy recipe that my whole family enjoyed. I used a granulated sugar substitute to lower the overall calories and also used light cherry pie filling. It was still sweet, m..." See moreoist and delicious. So not only can this recipe be dairy-free and egg-free, it can also be sugar-free and still please everyone!!"
Chocolate Cherry Cake III
Aunt Mary's Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.