The Best Chocolate Cake You Ever Ate190 Reviews
“I make this cake over and over. It is easy to put together and the frosting of the cake is easy and fast. It goes fast around my house.” - by CANDACEMARIE
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x13 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sift 2 cups white sugar and 2 cups flour together; set aside.
- In a sauce pan; combine 1/2 cup butter or margarine, oil, water, and 1/4 cup cocoa. Bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat and add to dry ingredients.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk; add with eggs, salt, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon vanilla to cocoa, flour mixture and stir well.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
- To Make Frosting: Five minutes before cake is done combine 1/2 cup butter,1/4 cup cocoa and 1/4 cup milk in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in confectioners' sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and chopped pecans. Pour frosting over hot cake. Cake remains moist and may be frozen. Serves 20.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 335 cal
- 16.4 g
- 46.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (190)Rate This Recipe
"I've been making this same cake for years! Actually, instead of the oil, I use another stick of butter. Yikes! Three sticks in one cake!!! Anyway, I have been asked to make this cake MANY, MANY times ..." See moreover the years. I have even been paid to make this cake. My mother-in-law has dreams about it, and hoards it when I make it. I got the recipe from a friend about twenty years ago (when I was in Jr. High School!), and she called it Candy Cake because the icing is like eating fudge. I highly recommend poking lots of holes in the cake just before you pour the hot icing over the hot cake. I use a thick wooden skewer to do this. If I didn't have one, then I use the back of my beater from my hand-mixer. This makes it unbelievably moist and heaven-filled! I used to get asked to make the birthday cake for all the birthdays in my office, and my co-workers even asked if I would make this cake for my own birthday. It is a definite winner. Don't look any further, this is THE chocolate cake! Oh, and candacemarie, my name is also Candice Marie and I go by Candi, too. People think the cake is named after me (since we call it Candy Cake). lol"
"Well i was looking for a chocolate cake recipe, so i tried this one. I followed the recipe almost exactly but cut the cinnamon to half the amount. Even with that the cinnamon almost over powered it. I..." See more wanted a basic chocolate cake, not a cinnamon chocolate cake. Also, it wasn't very chocolaty. Because of that i give it 3 stars. Now since then i stopped using cinnamon and use a bit more than 1/4 cup of cocoa. The cake is very good and very moist. A good recipe to build off of. Also i did not like the frosting, way to sugary."
"This is an AWESOME recipe!!!! The ingredient list is long, but it is very easy to make and clean up is simple. HINT: I didn't want a rectangle cake so I poured the batter into 2 9inch pans. It turned ..." See moreout great. Perfect for layers!!! For big layers- double recipe!!! (It also slipped out of the pan with no mess!!!!)"
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake II
Best Moist Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.