Praline Chocolate Cake2 Reviews
“A very dense and rich chocolate cake. This recipe works best if you use sweet cream butter and a very fine quality of chocolate.” - by Norae
Original recipe yields 1 - 10 inch tube
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch tube pan.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and keep the egg whites cold.
- Combine milk, 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, 1 cup of the butter and all of the chocolate and bring to a boil in the top half of a double boiler over medium heat. Let cool slightly and stir in the egg yolks, flour, and baking powder. Beat for about 2 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- In a glass or metal bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour batter into a greased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- To Make Frosting: Melt 1 cup sugar in a heavy pan. Once melted and slightly amber colored add the finely chopped nuts. Pour into a buttered flat sheet pan to cool. Once cool and set crush to a powder using a food processor.
- Cream 1/2 cup of the butter until light and fluffy, gradually mix in the nut powder and the confectioners' sugar beating until smooth and creamy. Spread frosting over top of cake and garnish with whole pecan halves.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 610 cal
- 38.7 g
- 65.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"This cake was TOO dense and dry (especially when refrigerated), but the flavor was very chocolatey and good. The topping was interesting...the sugar/nut portion never turned into a powder (was this r..." See moreeally supposed to happen?)...so the frosting was whipped butter with crunchy toffee pieces. Many people said they loved the cake, but I don't plan on making it again."
Chocolate Praline Layer Cake
Best Moist Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.