A Vegetable Stew - Tabakh Rohoo11 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 55 min
“This is a Syrian lamb and vegetable stew made in layers and served with steamed rice or bulgur. My Damascene sister-in-law recently showed me how to make this. It is delicious. The addition of ghee or semneh at the end of the cooking is a traditional Damascene style of cooking; however, these days these dishes are made without the extra fat.” - by ALMALOU
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat the ghee in a large pot over medium-high heat and stir in the lamb meat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Season with allspice, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cardamom and mix well.
- Place a layer of onion on top of the lamb in the pot, but do not stir. Top with layers of potato, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes.
- Repeat the layers of vegetables until you have used them up, ending with tomatoes on top. Place the chile pepper in the center of the tomatoes. Season with salt. Dilute the tomato paste in the water, and pour it over the vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour, until vegetables are tender.
- With a mortar and pestle, crush together the garlic, a pinch of salt, and the dried mint. Mix with 2 tablespoons of liquid from the pot, and drop by spoonfuls over the vegetables in the pot, but do not stir. Simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the stew to a wide bowl or serving dish by gently tipping the pot and letting it slide out into the serving dish, while maintaining its layers. Sprinkle with ghee, if desired.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 174 cal
- 5.8 g
- 21.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"This was absolutely delicious!! I used a larger quantity of spices and it turned out really well. I shall definately be making it again...." See more"
"This stew has wonderful flavours, and I will definitely make it again, mainly because it so tasty and also because of it's low fat content. I found it to be a bit watery, though, but I may have cooked..." See more it too long."
"This really didn't work for me. I'm at a loss as to how so many wonderful ingredients can end up tasting so, well, bad. It smelled fabulous while cooking, but tasted flat. I might have done somethi..." See moreng wrong (not sure how, but possible) since I'm not familiar with Damascene dishes - I found this recipe looking for a dish to use up zucchini and lamb. Anyway, I won't be making again."
Lamb and Winter Vegetable Stew
Better Vegetable Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.