Favorite Chocolate Cake16 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“This is always a hit! I use a mint flavored frosting for this cake.” - by Syd
Original recipe yields 2 - 9 inch round cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt three times.
- Boil the water and add it to the chocolate, and stir until melted.
- Cream together the butter or margarine and the sugar. Add the eggs and mix well. Stir in the vanilla.
- Blend in the chocolate mixture to the creamed mixture. Add the flour alternately with the sour cream, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until cakes tests done.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 326 cal
- 15 g
- 46.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (16)Rate This Recipe
"I made this for my husband for Father's Day, and used a chocolate frosting recipe I found on this site that used cream cheese and baker's chocolate and put candied mint-leaves on top. I think it's rea..." See morelly really good! The cake is very rich and moist! I've got the leftover cake in the refrigerator and if you put a slice in the microwave for 20 seconds, and top with ice cream, it's delicious. The frosting microwaves well because of the cream cheese."
"This was a great recipe. I didn't have bakers chocolate, SO instead I used hersheys natural cocoa powder mixed with the amount of water recipe indicates and a tablespoon extra of butter. This cake is ..." See morenot super chocolaty as I thought, it is sutble. perfect with some white whipped frosting and sliced strawberrys. It was a major hit , I am definatly making this cake again. btw i chose to use all natural and organic ingredients. although that doesnt change the calorie intake it is gratifying knowing I am not eating hydrogenated dye filled food. Kudos to this recipe.."
"Used a 13x9 pan, and baked for 50 min total. Delicious, and everyone enjoyed it :). Because some said it was dry, and I'm in deserty Colorado, added 2 egg yolks and 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 cup chocolate ..." See morechips. Made icing with butter, cocoa, p. sugar and Bailey's Irish Cream."
Chocolate Lovers' Favorite Cake
Chocolate Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.