Orange Sponge Cake37 Reviews
“Why not try this citrus cake on a very hot summer day?” - by Jackie Lim
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch round cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 inch round pan.
- Separate the eggs while cold, then bring to room temperature.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and grated orange rind until light and fluffy. Mix flour and baking powder together. Alternately add flour mixture and orange juice to the egg yolk mixture.
- In a separate large CLEAN bowl, with a CLEAN whisk or beaters, beat egg whites to stiff peaks, and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 144 cal
- 1.4 g
- 29.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (37)Rate This Recipe
"The key to a light and fluffy sponge cake is to make sure to gently fold the egg whites that have been stiffly beaten into the rest of the batter. The only things I whip together are the eggs, sugar,..." See more zest and oj. I then stir in the flour/baking powder and then gently fold in the whites. You should also NEVER grease the pan with a sponge cake and allow it to cool upsidedown for 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the pan before removing. Works very well in a tube pan-this particular recipe may need to be doubled for that."
"This is a very easy cake to cook. Quite large. Beautiful cake to eat. I use an orange icing which consists of icing sugar, orange juice and orange zest. They go really well together...." See more"
"Well, the 1st time I made this, I wasn't too crazy about it. Now, after making it a few times, I've perfected the recipe and made it even healthier! First, you can half the amount of sugar and make ..." See moreit just as delicious. Then, I double the orange zest, add 2 tbsp. of lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp. of honey, and extra orange juice. After it's done baking, I like to serve it with some fat free ice cream. It's delicious!"
Orange Nut Raisin Cake
Nannie's Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.