Philadelphia Red Cake2 Reviews
“The sour milk makes this cake very moist.” - by Syd
Original recipe yields 1 - 8x4 inch loaf pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk and the lemon juice or vinegar. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter or margarine and the sugar. Separate the eggs, keeping two of the whites and all of the yolks. Beat the egg yolks.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the hot water.
- Add the soured milk mixture, the yolks, the cocoa, and the vanilla to the creamed mixture. Add the flour and soda. Beat at a low speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat 2 of the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter and pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 60 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 309 cal
- 11.4 g
- 48.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"This is not good I tried and shouldnt of wasted my supplies..." See more"
"This cake is not a traditional Philadelphia Red Cake, Philadelphia red cakes, which are a precursor to red velvet and red devils food cake, are supposed to be almost the color of red velvet (not that ..." See morenasty neon red but more of a rich chocolaty color), this is more of a brown to black color, witch is what I expected, the PH seemed off looking at the recipe, however I only made this once and am only offering suggestions on how to get the red tint [this tint relies on the reaction between baking soda and the acids in natural - not dutch processed- cocoa, how you can tell is to look at the ingredients list natural cocoa will just be labeled cocoa, cocoa powder, or 100% cocoa powder; whereas dutch processed will be called cocoa (processed with alkali) just thought you might want to know. My idea is to lower the acids and raise the bases, first lower the lemon juice to 1/2 tsp. this is the standard amount for souring milk, than increase the egg whites to using all three not just two - do not raise the yolks, yolks are acid, whites are alkali- than finally raise the baking soda to 2 tsp - the ratio required to neutralize cocoa powder is 1/2 tsp. per tbs. so this should work if it does not try increasing baking soda to 3 tsp. But if my changes scare you don't make them this is a very good chocolate cake just not red. Also in theory you could add 1 tbs red food coloring to get red. Note: this cake does not have to be made in a loaf pan it can be made in a 8" square or round cake pan."
Texas Sheet Cake II
Red Velvet Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.