Sour Cream Chocolate Cake15 Reviews
“This is a rich chocolate cake with a fudge frosting. If you don't have sour cream, you can use sweet cream and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar.” - by Jean Haseloh
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 x 13 inch cake
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Melt the 2 tablespoons shortening, and add it and the sour cream to the eggs.
- In another bowl, sift together 1 1/4 cups sugar, flour, cocoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add these dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Stir the batter until smooth. Add in the vanilla and stir. Lastly, add the soda dissolved in hot water. Stir.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until done. Cool.
- To Make the Frosting: Combine 2 cups sugar, corn syrup, milk, 1/2 cup shortening, unsweetened chocolate, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, and beat the frosting mixture until it has a smooth spreading consistency.
- Frost the cake when it has completely cooled.
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 338 cal
- 13.7 g
- 53 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"Since this recipe received such mixed reviews I wasn't sure of the a good end result, however I mixed it up and baked it in a 8-inch diameter cake pan and after tooth picking it several times ended up..." See more leaving it in for around 15min+ the original time. However it was such a great cake, the icing that goes along with it is complementary and I received compliments on it. So my tip is not using the given time and tooth picking it until it is done."
"This is just like the sour cream cake my mother made. The first time I made this, it was dry and overdone, but after cutting 5-10 minutes off the baking time it has turned out perfect. Check by insert..." See moreing a toothpick in center for doneness. I use a pint of sweet cream, sour 1½ cups with vinegar, and use the other 1/2 cup sweet cream in the frosting in place of the milk. Wonderful, wonderful cake! Moist and rich, and the frosting is like creamy fudge. Kaye"
Daisy Brand Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
Aunt Mary's Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.