Gingerbread I46 Reviews
“An old fashioned treat, warm and spicy.” - by Kathleen Dickerson
Original recipe yields 1 - 8x8 inch square
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour one 8 inch square baking pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light. Add the egg and molasses and beat thoroughly.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon.
- Bring water to a boil and add alternately with flour mixture to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 211 cal
- 9.1 g
- 30.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (46)Rate This Recipe
"This is the exact recipe I've used to make gingerbread for years. I've tried other recipes, but keep coming back to this one - it's my idea of perfect gingerbread. It's easy to make, with ingredients ..." See morealways on hand, and mildly spiced to please the whole family. I use Grandma's Molasses (which appears dark - I'm not sure what "light molasses" is). You can double the amounts of ginger and cinnamon if you prefer a spicier cake. This truly is "good old-fashioned gingerbread"!!"
"I doubled this and made some for my 96 year old Kentucky Granny. She loved it. And she has been cooking for 80 years, her approval is not given to just any ole dish. I added a lil' bit more ginger. Ju..." See morest a pinch more. My Whole family loved it.Thanks"
"Perfectly moist and light and fluffy and wonderful with a slightly chewy crust (I like the corners). The kids all raved on this. I added twice the ginger as I like it that way. Really a lot better ..." See morethan I expected. One of the best quick cakes I've ever made. No more brownies for us! **Note** I'm coming back to update my review. I just read the other reviews that talk about this cake being dry. I don't understand that. Perhaps they missed adding the water? Maybe they're cooking it too long? This truly is so moist that it is really a cake, not a bread. I've made it repeatedly and it's great every time."
Ye Ole Gingerbread
Favorite Old Fashioned Gingerbread
Just swipe to see more like this.