Fabulous Zucchini Grinders362 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“I made this up one day out of things I had on hand, and it turned out to be one of my favorite sandwiches ever. Sauteed zucchini pieces are coated with a zesty marinara sauce and topped with a generous helping of mozzarella cheese. These baked sandwiches are a great vegetarian version of the Italian grinder. They can also be made ahead of time, and heated just before serving.” - by your mom
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- To make marinara sauce, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat (see Cook's Note). Add garlic, basil and red pepper flakes; cook and stir for a minute or two until fragrant. Stir in sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour in tomatoes with their juices and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and puree until smooth in food processor or blender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the zucchini in butter until browned and slightly tender. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon a generous amount of the zucchini mixture into each sandwich roll. Cover zucchini with about 1/4 cup marinara sauce per roll. Top with a handful of shredded mozzarella. Close the rolls, and wrap individually in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until bread is heated through, rolls are soft, and cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 339 cal
- 15.1 g
- 37.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (362)Rate This Recipe
"Yum! Be sure to put 1/2 the cheese on the roll 1st (under the zucchini mixture), then the rest of the cheese on top of the zucchini mixture. It prevents the bread from getting soggy. Wonderful recip..." See moree! It got the picky SO to eat a veggie that isn't our favorite! I think this would be a hit with most kids, too."
"Here's what I did, sauteed the zucchini (I quartered my 3/4 inch thick circle slices) in olive oil and sprinkled with seasoning salt. I then used pizza sauce instead of marinara since we had it on han..." See mored. After heating this all up I just tossed in the shredded mozzarella and cooked it all together then put it on my toasted hoagie rolls. I added an extra sprinkle of mozzarella because I love cheese. It was so delicious! If you toast the rolls first then just melt the cheese in with your zucchini it will not make your rolls soggy and it is also quicker to throw together. This is one of my new favorite recipes! It is so versatile! The next day I had some extra yellow summer squash and used it in place of the zucchini and had an equally delicious grinder. I'm sure you could use eggplant too, and maybe even add some olives and feta cheese. The possibilities are endless but the base recipe it great as is!"
"Fabulous is right!!!! I just finished eating these for dinner and had to run upstairs immediately to give them the 5 stars they deserve. I used olive oil instead of butter, and added a red pepper c..." See moreut into bite size pieces and a chopped onion, plus some garlic powder and italian seasonings. YUMMY. Meat-eating boyfriend loved too! Thanks for a great healthy recipe!!!"
Classico(R) Zucchini Pasta
Just swipe to see more like this.