Creamy White Layers48 Reviews
“A luscious, tender cake that goes well with many different types of fillings and frostings.” - by Veruschka
Original recipe yields 2 - 9 inch cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Stir together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and super fine sugar.
- Separate the eggs save the egg yolks for another use. In a glass or copper bowl beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of the heavy cream with the vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture then fold in the egg whites. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C ) for 30 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for ten minutes then invert onto a wire rack to continue cooling. Once cakes are completely cool frost with fresh whipped cream and serve with fresh strawberries.
- To Make Frosting: Beat on low speed until stiff 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (make sure it's very cold). Beat in the confectioners' sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons brandy. Use immediately to frost cake.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 228 cal
- 12 g
- 27.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (48)Rate This Recipe
"Very good cake-- firm but tender texture. It was a bit flatter than I had anticipated-- I might make two next time and have a four layer cake (but then again, the cake is dense enough that that might..." See more be a bit much). I made this with SPECIAL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING (also on this site), which was soooo yummy! Decorated with fresh strawberries, sliced lengthwise and arranged in groups of three to make simple flowers. To make superfine sugar for this recipe, put regular sugar in the blender on chop for 30 seconds or so."
"The basic cake recipe herein was perfect as written and I made no substitutions. Between the layers I put a mixed berry filling (one bag of Trader Joe's frozen mixed berries thawed and drained thorou..." See moreghly then run through food processor, + 1 t vanilla + 1 T superfine sugar) and a layer of white chocolate cream cheese frosting (12 oz cream cheese, 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter, 11 oz white chocolate melted and cooled; blend all three together). Frosted the whole thing and it was the hit of the night (got reviews as good as my Gourmet chocolate cake). The texture was firm but not too dense as other reviewers felt. I think others may have been expecting angel food because of the egg whites, but it is far from it. Thanks for a great basic white cake recipe that will work with many frostings and fillings."
"My best friend chose this out of 16 different kinds of cakes for her wedding. The wedding hasn't happened yet, but cake tastes great and is very moist, yet seems strong enough to hold up for the cake..." See more construction. Will be great with my raspebby and white chocolate ganche fillings!"
Silver White Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.