Our Favorite Chocolate Cake20 Reviews
“This is the cake my family always traditionally took on picnics and any other family get-together. Cream may be substituted for the milk for a richer cake.” - by Jeannette Gartner
Original recipe yields 1 - 13x9 inch cake pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 13x9 inch cake pan.
- Cream together the shortening and the white sugar. Add the melted chocolate and eggs, mix well.
- Sift the flour with baking soda and salt. Add alternately with 1 cup milk to shortening mixture. Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center of the cake comes out clean. Once cool frost with Coffee Frosting.
- To Make Frosting: Mix together instant or leftover coffee, 1/4 cup milk or cream, cocoa powder, butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and confectioners' sugar until of spreading consistency.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 436 cal
- 15.9 g
- 72.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (20)Rate This Recipe
"I made the cake part only, not the frosting. I had to add another ounce of chocolate because it wasn't chocolate-y enough for us. I made cupcakes, baked for about 15 minutes, then watched them closely..." See more til done (around 18 minutes). Moist, with a nice taste and texture. I'm pleased with this recipe."
"wow. this cake is so good. i added a little maple flavoring and some sweetened dark chocolate. for 2 9' round pans it took 30 minutes exactly. another thing i liked is that it didnt turn all round on ..." See moretop like the box cakes. i was able to put the two on top of each other without them breaking! thanks for the great recipe!!"
Special Chocolate Cake I
Best Moist Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.