- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This is our family's New Year's cake. A coin is baked in the cake, and the person who finds the coin in their slice is has good luck for the year; they also get a prize.” - by Diane
Original recipe yields 1 - 10 inch tube cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, blend together the butter or margarine and the sugar. Separate 3 of the eggs; add the yolks and the 2 remaining whole eggs to the butter mixture. Stir in the vanilla and water.
- In another bowl, sift together the baking powder and flour. Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.
- Whip 3 egg whites until they are foamy. Add 1 tablespoon sugar. Continue to whip the whites until they are stiff, but not dry. Fold whipped whites into batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 10 x 4 inch tube pan. Wrap a large coin in foil, and place the coin in the batter. Press the coin down; it should be completely hidden. Sprinkle the nuts and seeds on top of the batter.
- Bake the cake for about 70 minutes, or until done. Cool on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 372 cal
- 17.8 g
- 47.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"I baked this cake for my family's New Year's day brunch. Being Greek, I can tell you that this was much closer to the traditional recipe than you would find in a bakery. It's denser and has a lighter..." See more flavour. Everyone loved it and commented on how it was much better than store bought version. My 3 year old nephew ate an entire piece by himself! A definite keeper."
"I thought this cake taste great. I put several$1 coins wrapped in foil. Everyone thought it was fun. This cake tastes like pound cake. If anyone finds it to sedate, it would go very well with choco..." See morelate sauce and whipped cream or strawberries and vanilla ice cream."
Poppy Seed Bundt Cake I
The Extreme Cherry Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.