Egg-Yolk Sponge Cake44 Reviews
“This is a moist and tender cake with plenty of orange flavor.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 -10 inch tube cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift together twice: flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour back into sifter.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and whole eggs with an electric mixer until thick and lemon colored (about 5 minutes). Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Fold in orange rind, orange juice, and lemon extract. Sift dry ingredients into egg and sugar mixture and fold in. Do not stir or beat. Add boiling water and fold in quickly, just until liquid is blended. Pour batter into one ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 60 to 65 minutes. Turn cake over in pan on a wire rack and let cake hang for 1 hour or until cool. Loosen cake sides from pan with a spatula and shake from pan. Dust top lightly with confectioner's sugar or frost with Orange Butter Frosting.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 185 cal
- 4 g
- 33.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (44)Rate This Recipe
"This cake was a huge hit. It was gone in a flash. I topped it off with a glaze made with fresh squeezed orange juice, powdered sugar and butter...." See more"
"Moist and great on its own. It really requires no frosting. Also, it's a good way to use up egg-yolks...." See more"
"Very nice recipe. Easy to make and turned out great, the citrus flavours are easily substituted to adapt it to your taste. I've made a pina colada flavour (substituting coconut, rum and pineapple flav..." See moreours) and a mocha flavour (substituting chocolate and coffee flavours) and they both tasted great."
Dee's Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Nannie's Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.