Butter Cake176 Reviews
“This cake is practical and can be for many uses. You can also add fruit in it if you wish.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 -8 inch square cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 8 inch square baking pan. Line bottom with wax paper or dust lightly with flour.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cream the butter and blend in the white sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stir until just blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and allow it to cool.
- Variation: Blueberry Cake; Add 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to your dry ingredients and stir in 1 cup fresh blueberries into the batter before you bake it. Cut it into squares while it is still hot.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 210 cal
- 9 g
- 29.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (176)Rate This Recipe
"I have to say that this is the recipe I was looking for! A yellow cake made from scratch. I followed the recipe to a T except I did what others suggested - cream the butter and sugar well (for about..." See more 5 minutes). I mixed everything with the electric mixer and at the end my batter looked like yellow Cool Whip. The flavour is buttery and the sweetness is just right. Just make sure to frost it light because it doesn't need a lot of it. The texture of the cake (both times I made it) was in between a pound cake and a fluffy cake. Mine was NOT like cornbread at all. Thank you for this great recipe. "
"Mixed properly and not overbaked, this is a fine, moist butter cake. I used Penzey's double strength vanilla and, for extra richness and moistness, I added an egg yolk in addition to the two eggs ..." See morecalled for. This cake has a coarse crumb which I'm sure would be great for cakes where it's important they are sturdy and hold their shape. If you're looking for a more delicate cake with a fine crumb this would not be the recipe to use. I baked this in an 8" round pan, then split it into two layers. I filled it with seedless raspberry jam, frosted it with "Butter Cream Frosting 1," also from this site, and coated the sides in coconut. Delicious combination of flavors, perfectly suited for this cake. "
"I have used this recipe on two occasions. I found the texture of the cake to be perfect for shaping it into themes. It holds together very , very well. Everyone who had the cake at the two birthday pa..." See morerties commented on its good taste . I will use the cake again - that is why I am back at this site. To print it out once again!"
Honey's Butter Cake
Gooey Butter Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.