Mary Oppenhiemer's Butter Cake30 Reviews
“This is an old family recipe from my deceased grandmother, whom I am honoring today by placing her recipe on your site for Mother's Day. I used this recipe to win a cooking contest in 1983 for Pet Dairy, INC. in Sarasota, FL where I worked. I was so surprised and honored to win and I want to share her recipe with all of you.” - by S. Helms
Original recipe yields 1 -10 inch bundt cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour one 10 inch bundt pan.
- Cream together the white sugar and 1 cup of the butter. Add the eggs one at time, beating mixture well after each. Mix the baking soda with the buttermilk. Add to butter mixture and beat.
- Sift flour three times before measuring. Add sifted flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the butter mixture. Stir in the 2 teaspoons vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for one hour. Let cake cool and top with Caramel Icing.
- To Make Caramel Icing: In a saucepan over medium heat cook the brown sugar, remaining 1/2 cup butter, and the evaporated milk. Stirring frequently bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the 1 teaspoon vanilla, beat until thick. Pour over top of cooled bundt cake.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 619 cal
- 25.5 g
- 93.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (30)Rate This Recipe
"I got this recipe off this website about 6 years ago... could it be that long? I think it was. I never post reviews, but I think that this one deserves a rave review. As a cake decorator, I've made ..." See morethis cake countless times over the years. It is dense and rich. Used it in wedding cakes and it perfect for 3D cakes. It is delicious. I love the flavor. I usually make this cake without the frosting following the cake recipe exactly. Sometimes, I'll add different flavors: ground almond (about 1/2-3/4 cup) and almond extract instead of vanilla or lemon zest(about 3-4 lemons) with lemon extract. Tried adding cocoa one time and that didn't come out that great. It is delicious with a chocolate buttercream frosting. Give it a try..."
"My brother absolutley loves this cake! Tried it with butter and margarine, butter tastes much better. Did not like the carmel topping...." See more"
Seven-Up(TM) Cake II
Just swipe to see more like this.