Hot Milk Sponge Cake I48 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“We make this, and top it with Broiled Coconut Topping! Really easy!” - by ZOOKIE
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch square cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs for 4 minutes with electric mixer. Gradually add sugar; beat until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder, and add to egg mixture until just combined.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons butter until butter is melted. Gradually pour into the batter, mixing constantly. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven; preheat oven's broiler.
- Beat 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter until combined. Stir in milk to desired consistency. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spread over warm cake. Broil 4 inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes, till golden.
Amount Per Serving (9 total)
- 271 cal
- 10 g
- 42.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (48)Rate This Recipe
"I was looking for a small sponge cake that would be quick and easy and this was it. I skipped the topping, added about 1/2 tsp vanilla and instead served it with strawberries and whipped cream. Imag..." See moreine a Twinkie with no chemical taste, fresher and more tender...that's the effect I got. Be sure to mix with a whisk attachment if you have and mix very well as air is the primary leavening here."
"Mmmm, this cake turned out moist, fluffy, and delicious. I added 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/4 tsp of salt...." See more"
"I made the cake, not the topping, and it was just what I was after - just a basic, old-fashioned sponge cake. I used the batter to make individual sponge cake shells for strawberry shortcake. The cak..." See morees were light, tender, airy and perfect to absorb those sweet strawberry (mixed with a little Chambord) juices."
Dee's Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Nannie's Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.