Brown Rice and Black Bean Casserole346 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“A yummy casserole with rice, beans, chicken, cheese and veggies. It's easy to prepare and the whole family will love it!” - by LYSLW
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Mix the rice and vegetable broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the zucchini, chicken, and mushrooms. Season with cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini is lightly browned and chicken is heated through.
- In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, beans, chiles, carrots, and 1/2 the Swiss cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue baking 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 337 cal
- 21 g
- 11.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (346)Rate This Recipe
"Nice change from the everyday. I took the advise of other reviewers and used about 1 cup of shredded carrot. I also doubled the brown rice. ( that rice sure had a nice flavor simmered in the vegetable..." See more broth ) I also used cheddar cheese instead of swiss. Next time I will mix montary jack cheese and cheddar. My family enjoyed it, and will make it again"
Maus in the Kitchen
"This was delicious! I'm giving it five stars based on how good it would be even without my changes! Omitted the mushrooms and carrots (didn't have any), chicken broth instead of veggie (what I had),..." See more probably doubled the cumin and used chili powder instead of the peppers (I'm a hot-spice wimp), and added a can of (well-drained) petite diced tomatoes. I also halved the cheese -- 1/2 C mexican blend mixed in, then maybe 1/2 C on top -- to watch my middle! (If anyone else tries with tomatoes, I made sure to spoon off the 1/2 C or so of liquid that they released. It would have been soggy otherwise!) My boyfriend LOVED IT, and I will make it again and again! The best part is -- only $.60 a serving!!!"
"Very tasty...I'm already looking forward to having leftovers for lunch today! My husband really, really loved this. I liked it a lot as well, but would probably change up a few things in the future...." See more First, it's called a brown rice casserole, but I didn't think there was nearly enough rice. I'd double the rice amount in the future. The carrot is also lost...not enough for flavor or even really color. I'd either added far more or omit entirely in the future. The swiss was good, but I think I'd like to try this with cheddar instead or in addition. Lastly, I think the chicken could be easily omitted to make this a vegetarian meal if so desired. This recipe is great as written, and I think it'll stand up to customization as well so I'm excited to try it again with my own spin. Thanks!"
Brown Sugar Meatloaf
Just swipe to see more like this.