Battenburg Cake13 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This is a fancy tea cake with marzipan.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 2 layer cake
- Cream butter and 1 cup sugar together. Beat in 3 eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt gently. Add milk if needed.
- Divide batter into 2 equal parts. Add food colouring to 1 part to make a deep pink color. Grease two 7 inch square pans. Spread batters into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand in pans 5 minutes. Turn out on racks to cool.
- Trim edges from both cakes. Cut each cake lengthwise into 4 strips as wide as the cake is thick. Trim to make strips match. Heat jam slightly. Spread on sides to glue 2 pink and 2 white strips together checkerboard fashion. Spread all 4 sides of completed cake with jam. Repeat with remaining pink and white stripes. Makes two cakes.
- To Make Almond Paste: Mix almonds, confectioners' sugar, egg, lemon juice, and almond extract together. Knead until smooth, adding a bit of lemon juice or water if too dry to roll. Add only 1/2 teaspoon at a time. It will be stiff. Divide into 2 equal parts.
- Roll 1/2 of paste 1/8 inch or so thick on a surface lightly dusted with confectioners' sugar. Cut to fit length of cake, and long enough to cover 4 sides leaving ends uncovered. Lay cake on one end of paste. Wrap to completely enclose all 4 sides of cake pinching paste to seal. Roll in granulated sugar. Place with seal underneath on serving plate, or store in plastic bag. Repeat for second cake. Chill. Slice thinly to serve.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 646 cal
- 31.6 g
- 85.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"GREAT recipe - easy to make. Coming from England, now in Canada, this is very authentic - however, you must spread the apricot jam on the marzipan with a pastry brush before you wrap the cake in it -..." See more this helps it to stick to the cake and it also tastes delicious! Try it with raspberry jam too for an alternative. Also, the cake mix looks too stiff even with a little milk - but you need the cake to be firm and hold it's shape - so don't be fooled !!! The recipe is "spot on". Excellent ******"
"I am only 14 but my Mum was a successful cook and I have entered many shows and cook at least 3 new things a week, cooking is definitely my passion and takes a lot of my time. This cake was luscios to..." See more eat and positively made my mouth water at the first bite. It was extremely light and fluffy, it is probably the nicest Battanburg I have ever made. The downside is I would recommend it only to fairly experienced as it is quite difficult to make nicely. Although it is fairly easy to make it taste nice the presentation is quite hard to get to look good. It is quite fiddley to make the different colours nice and even. If you've never made a Battenburg beforre don't be crestfallen if your first try looks a flop (mine was), it comes with practise."
Texas Sheet Cake I
Toasted Butter Pecan Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.