Creamed Spinach with Jalapenos35 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“I tossed this together last night and my husbands reaction was 'Wow.' How can you not submit a recipe that gets that kind of reaction!?! Use jalapenos to taste; seed if too hot.” - by BAJATHECAT
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Butter a small casserole dish.
- Place the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook in the microwave 5 minutes on High, until heated through. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the bread crumbs until coated. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Mix in onion and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in reserved spinach liquid, evaporated milk, cheese, and jalapeno. Season with celery salt and pepper. Mix in the spinach. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 260 cal
- 19.5 g
- 13.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (35)Rate This Recipe
"i am so, so sorry to put a bad review out there. i made this thinking i couldn't go wrong with two of my fav. things in the world--spinach and jalapenos. there just aren't any words to describe how ..." See morefoul this was and i can't think of any ingredients to make it *right*. i made the recipe exactly as written, took it to a fancy family dinner, and threw all the leftovers away (there was a LOT b/c no one ate it). the flavors did not meld one bit. it seriously tasted like taking a bite of spinach, then biting into a jalapeno. good luck to you if you decide to make this one! "
"I very successfully converted this recipe into a dip by 1) doubling everything but the spinach (which makes it much creamier; more like a sauce than a side dish) and 2) leaving out the breadcrumbs. I..." See moret was a *huge* hit at the dinner party: first thing gone, and I had folks asking if I had any more."
"This recipe was awesome! I used 1/2 fresh minced onion, 2% milk, and cubed my cheese (no grater). It paired really nice with salmon and carrots. I am never buying premade creamed spinach again! Up..." See moredate: Tried again only subbing motzerella and a scotch bonnet pepper.... Yum"
Creamed Spinach from Oikos(R)
Creamed Spinach II
Just swipe to see more like this.