Martha Washington's Cake1 Reviews
“This is a long procedure, but well worth the trouble. A great cake. Makes about 11 pounds.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 10 inch tube cake
- Place raisins and currants in a bowl, and add enough water to just cover them. Soak overnight.
- Chop orange and lemon peel quite fine; do the same with the citron, angelica, and both types of cherries. Pour 1/2 cup brandy over fruit, and allow to stand overnight.
- Sift together flour, mace, and nutmeg.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and light, then beat in 1 cup of sugar a little at a time. Stir in lemon juice. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, and then add 1 cup sugar a little at a time; beat until smooth. Combine yolk mixture with creamed mixture. Add flour and 1/3 cup sherry alternately to the creamed mixture. Stir in all the fruit, and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour batter into a well greased and floured 10 inch mold or tube pan. This cake can also be made in 2 large loaf pans.
- Place a pan of hot water in the bottom of a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven. Place cake pans in oven, and bake about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C); continue baking 100 minutes for large cake, or 40 minutes for loaf cakes. Cakes are done when a toothpick comes out dry. Turn cake(s) out on rack to cool.
- Wrap cake(s) in cheesecloth soaked in sherry, and store in airtight container for a month or more. If the cheesecloth dries out in the mellowing period soak it again with the same spirits, and rewrap the cake.
Amount Per Serving (140 total)
- 83 cal
- 3.1 g
- 12.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"I make this cake every xmas: one of my favs! I found recipe many yrs ago in SL Heritage Cakes, the bible of southern cakes. WM Great Cake, as it's called in SL, is a somewhat of a 'white fruitcak..." See moree,' but minus the traditional fruit cake flavor. Very dense and not too sweet. I'v found it generally takes an extra 1 hr 5 mins: you'r lkg @ 3 hrs+ in oven."
Pound Cake III
Just swipe to see more like this.