Sauerkraut Surprise Cake4 Reviews
“No one will ever believe that the secret ingredient is finely chopped sauerkraut!” - by JJOHN32
Original recipe yields 1 - 13x9 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 13x9 inch cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter or margarine and sugar until light. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cocoa powder. Add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating after each addition. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cake cool in pan. Frost with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting. Cut into squares to serve.
- To Make Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting: Melt the semi-sweet chocolate pieces and 4 T butter or margarine over low heat. Remove from heat. Blend in the sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar to make spreading consistency. Beat well. Spread over cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 525 cal
- 23 g
- 81.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"The frosting was delicious. The cake is dark and moist. I used leftover sauerkraut I had from dinner (knockwurst and potatoes). My son thought it was chocolate cake with coconut in it. He's asked ..." See moreme to make it again. "
"This is a very moist chocolate cake. I made this when no one was around to see me put the sauerkraut in the batter. I took this to work and we played 'guess the ingredient'. Ten different people tr..." See moreied the cake and not one of them guessed correctly. The frosting on this cake is very good, but very rich. I would make this cake again if I have leftover sauerkraut. Thanks JJOHN32 for sharing."
"I'm glad I made this while my husband was out or he would have never tried it! You really can't taste the sauerkraut outside of the texture and it has the texture of coconut! Next time I might add mor..." See moree cocoa or a little oil to the batter to make it richer, but it was still really good. Perfect for using up that leftover kraut from dinner!"
Texas Sheet Cake II
Beet Surprise Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.