Vegetarian Burrito Casserole73 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“I made this one night when I was trying to use up some leftover Mexican ingredients. It turned out very tasty and left everyone asking for more.” - by BONF
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place soy crumbles, tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, chili powder, cumin, and taco seasoning in a medium frying pan over medium high heat. Cook and stir, breaking up tomatoes, for 10 minutes.
- Lay 1 flour tortilla in a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking dish. Layer with one half of the beans, jalapeno slices, rice, salsa, soy mixture, and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, beginning with the flour tortilla, and top with remaining 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 486 cal
- 18 g
- 35.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (73)Rate This Recipe
"This is a recipe I will modify and make again and again. A couple of notes. First, either tomatoes OR salsa is sufficient (I used "mexican" seasoned stewed tomatoes - way cheaper than salsa and just a..." See mores flavorful). Second, next time I will add extra veggies (corn, zucchini, carrots, etc) to the mix. Third, I had a hard time layering! Next time I will mix everything together except the cheese and tortillas - it's a casserole after all :) Finally, I had to use a 9x12 or so baking dish! There's no way that volume of food would fit in an 8x8. Oh, and I used corn tortillas - still unrefined (as is whole wheat) but more flavor and texture. Thanks for a new go-to recipe - this will be a great one for a week's worth of dinners! "
"This is a great casserole. Our friends, veggies and carnivores, both like this one. I made a couple of changes of my own to it. I added more veggies, such as corn, peppers, and onions. I also use..." See mored corn tortillas instead of flour out of personal preference. Delicious, thank you!"
"Oh my gosh people, this is a keeper! Make a 9x13 pan of it and just cut slabs off of it for days! Each day in the fridge, it tastes better and better. Absolutely delicious and different. Kind of li..." See moreke a Mexican lasagna. Only changes I made was chopped green chiles instead of jalapenos and I made in a 9X13, just laying the tortillas in the pan and tearing them as I needed to fit the shape of the pan."
Cheesy Sausage Zucchini Casserole
Vegetarian Jamaican Jerk Burrito
Just swipe to see more like this.