Chocolate Buttermilk Cake25 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr
“One of the best chocolate cake recipes I've ever had. A must for chocolate lovers!” - by Sandy Moore
Original recipe yields 9 inch 3 layer cake
- Grease three 9 inch cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small pan over low heat, combine 1cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup water. Stir until chocolate chips have melted, and mixture is smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in chocolate mixture. Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend until smooth. Divide batter into three 9 inch pans, and smooth tops.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 to 15 minutes, then invert on wire racks; turn right side up to cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer upside down on cake platter. Spread with 1/2 inch layer chocolate whipped cream. Repeat with another cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost with remaining cream.
- To Make Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting: In small saucepan over low heat stir 1 cup chocolate chips, honey, 2 tablespoons water and 1/8 teaspoon salt until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; cool completely. In medium bowl beat cream until it holds its shape. Gradually fold about 3 large tablespoons cream into chocolate mixture, then fold chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream until blended.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 632 cal
- 36.2 g
- 75.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (25)Rate This Recipe
"Unexpectedly fantastic!!! Light, fluffy, moist - I could go on & on. I did have to adjust flour to 2 1/8 cups of all purpose. And, added just short of 1/4 cup oil in. (The batter does taste and loo..." See morek like chocolate mousse!) The frosting was a wonderful match to this glorious cake. But the best part? Both 4 yr olds got in the action. (He made the cake / She did the frosting) And, were pumped that "This is yummier than Mom's cake!" (Yeah, my last one was a doozy). *Oh yeah: I didn't have three round pans, so I whipped up an additional 11 cupcakes... Why 11? We couldn't stop "Taste testing" the batter*"
"Absolutely loved this cake. I'm not in the habit of making triple layer cakes, so I had to go out and buy a third pan, but it was worth it. It was a very moist and lightly flavored chocolate cake, a..." See morend I can't say enough good things about the frosting. I couldn't imagine what it would end up like. I've never heard a frosting recipe call for this kind of ingredients, but it was wonderful! Almost like a chocolate mousse."
"This is the best chocolate cake recipe! My whole family loves it! I have made it about 3 times now. When I make it, I make 2/3 of the recipe (8 servings) and make it in a 9x13 rectangular pan, or ..." See morea molded pan that I have that looks like a flower. I use light buttermilk and I frost it with canned chocolate frosting because canned frosting has less fat and calories than the homemade kind. It always turns out great and tastes awesome!"
Perfect Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.