The Humble Shepherd101 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“Ground turkey stands in for ground beef or the more traditional lamb in this simple version of shepherd's pie. Frozen vegetables make assembly simple; you can even use instant mashed potatoes instead of making your own to cut down on preparation time.” - by Amanda Fetters
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- Cover potatoes with water in a saucepan and boil for 20 to 30 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and beat until smooth with an electric mixer. Add butter, milk, and salt and pepper to taste; beat to desired consistency.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook and stir turkey and onion until turkey is fully cooked. Add gravy mix and water; stir often, until gravy is thick and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add turkey mixture to the baking dish. Next, layer the peas and carrots, and top with the mashed potatoes. Top with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the potatoes are golden on the top.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 566 cal
- 34.4 g
- 36 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (101)Rate This Recipe
"I made this for dinner the other night to rave reviews. I made the following changes: -used one jar of prepared turkey gravy and omitted the water and gravy mix -used instant mashed potatoes (6 serv..." See moreings)prepared according to the box instructions -doubled the onion called for. -used mixed vegetable (corn, carrots, lima beans, peas) -added a spoonful of worschestshire -added rosemary and garlic -topped with one cup mild cheddar and broiled it until the chees was bubbly. We fought over the leftovers."
"I did add my own veggies, instead of frozen, my own herbs and made the fresh mashed. This one is worth a try...." See more"
"With the only seasonings being salt and pepper, I imagined this would be a very dull dish. I made lots of adjustments, adding garlic, white pepper, and worchestershire sauce to the turkey to spice it ..." See moreup. It was great, I think this is a good template recipe that is easily adjusted to your palette, but isnt much on its own. "
Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Ground Beef Shepherd's Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.