Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake3 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“This is a cake that children love.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch layer cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch round pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Sift together the cake flour and salt.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler. Turn into mixing bowl, and cool to room temperature; this mixture must be cool. Mix in the sugar. Blend in egg yolks and 1 cup milk.
- Pour in the flour and salt, and mix just until incorporated. Beat batter with electric mixer for 1 minute, and then blend in vanilla and 1/2 cup milk. Dissolve baking soda in the remaining 1/4 cup milk; stir into the batter quickly and thoroughly. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the surface of the cakes spring back lightly when pressed with a finger, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes on wire racks.
- Prepare Seven Minute Frosting, omitting vanilla (see Footnote for link). Tint the frosting a delicate pink with a few drops of food coloring, and add 1/4 cup crushed candy. Frost and fill the cooled cake. Garnish with bits of crushed candy.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 363 cal
- 10.4 g
- 66.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I loved this recipe. The only complaint I got was that the cake was a little dry. I would make this again, but maybe tone down the peppermint a little...." See more"
"Wonderful cake! We used peppermint extract instead of vanilla & it was perfect (same measurement). Icing was too heavy for us, so we used cool whip to frost & added the peppermint candies. Perfect a..." See morend refreshing!!"
Dark Chocolate Cake I
Double Chocolate Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.