Queen Elizabeth Cake I23 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“A scrumptious date nut cake that is truly fit for a queen. It is crowned with a broiled coconut topping.” - by Carol
Original recipe yields 9 x 13 inch cake
- Pour boiling water over dates in a small bowl, and let stand until cool.
- Measure flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and nuts into a small bowl. Stir to mix.
- Cream 1/4 cup butter or margarine and white sugar together in a mixing bowl; beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture in three parts alternately with date mixture in two parts, beginning and ending with dry mixture. Spread batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
- To Make Topping: Mix coconut, brown sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil for three minutes. Spread over warm cake, and brown under broiler.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 371 cal
- 16.9 g
- 54 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (23)Rate This Recipe
"This is the recipe that I use with one small change. Instead of using 1 cup pitted chopped dates, I use 1 375 gram package of jaffa dates. I hadn't made this cake for some time and inadvertently made ..." See morethe cake first with the 1 cup called for in the recipe. The next time I made it I tried 2 cups of dates. Finally, I realized that I had always used one full 375 g package. This makes all the difference in taste! Try it and enjoy!"
"I have made this cake many times and each time it is a hit, young and old. I like to serve it with a dallop of fresh whipping cream. It's easy to make and take and trust me not a crumb will remain. ..." See more (I also substituted milk for cream in the broiled topping and it turned out just as good)"
Date Nut Loaf Cake
Fruit Cocktail Cake VI
Just swipe to see more like this.