Country Pot Roast30 Reviews
“This traditional chuck roast recipe is chock full of vegetables and flavor. It's sure to be a family favorite.” - by Crisco Baking Sticks®
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Combine 1/3 cup flour, salt, and pepper; coat meat evenly.
- Melt Crisco in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown meat well on all sides. Add 2 cups water and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 2 hours; do not boil. If needed, add water during cooking.
- Peel onions and pare potatoes, carrots, and turnips.
- When meat has simmered for 2 hours, add vegetables to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables and arrange on a heated platter; keep warm. Strain liquid and add water, if necessary, to make 1-1/2 cups liquid. Return to Dutch oven.
- Blend 1/2 cup cold water and 1/4 cup flour until smooth. Slowly stir into pot roast liquid. Cook and stir until gravy thickens and comes to boiling. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Serve with meat.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 607 cal
- 30.5 g
- 50.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (30)Rate This Recipe
"A good basic pot roast recipe... liked the addition of turnips. Made in crock pot, 6 hrs on low setting...." See more"
"Meat turns out excellent! The only problem I had was the potatoes that didn't really cook well after an hour of simmering. I would recommend you add potatoes earlier OR turn heat to medium for 15-20 m..." See moreinutes when you add potatoes. You do not wish to boil bell peppers though as they will become way too soft, so add peppers in the last 30 minutes."
Easter Bunny Cake
Blueberry Dumpling Dessert
Just swipe to see more like this.