Midnight Moon Cake13 Reviews
“This moist chocolate cake from my grandma is glazed with lemon icing in an unusually great combination.” - by Dee Turner
Original recipe yields 1 -9 inch round cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and line with parchment paper one 9 inch round cake pan.
- Cream shortening, add white sugar gradually and cream until fluffy. Blend in the well beaten eggs.
- In a separate bowl, slowly add hot water to cocoa and mix until smooth, dissolving cocoa completely.
- In a third bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Blend in vanilla. Pour batter into one 9 inch round pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cake cool then ice with Lemon Icing.
- To Make Icing: Combine confectioner's sugar with enough lemon juice to make the icing spreadable without being runny or stiff (about 1/4 cup). Stir in the grated zest. Pour icing over top of cake. See the full moon.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 294 cal
- 10 g
- 50.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"I chose to make this cake for a small group of women where one lady was dairy intolerant. This was the PERFECT dessert for her, I didn't use the lemon glaze, choosing instead to make dairy free Choco..." See morelate peanut butter fudge frosting (1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup sifted cocoa powder, 4 cups of confectioner sugar) -which really gave it a chocolate lovers appeal. Great cake recipe...thanks for sharing!"
"Make sure you don't use all 2 oz. of the lemon juice, it makes the frosting way too runny. Use about 1 oz. and then add a tiny bit more mixing as you go to get the desired consistency. I followed t..." See morehe recipe to a T and ended up with a drooped center and really runny icing that didn't cover my cake very well. Otherwise, it tastes really good."
One Bowl Chocolate Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.